Slip and fall incidents are the most common causes of injures and it should not be taken lightly. Business owners must be vigilant to avoid slip and fall injuries on their premises. If you are involved in a slip and fall incident at a business or on someone else’s premises you may be entitled to compensation. Although people of all ages are potential victims of slip and fall accidents, older people are injured every year due to falls. Your actions right after a fall can have a huge impact on any future legal action you decide to take.
Most common slip and fall injuries:
- Head and neck injuries
- Wrist and elbow injuries
- Back and Spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Sprains and Fractures
Seek medical treatment immediately if you are injured, and make sure to keep any follow-up appointments recommended by your doctor. Even seemingly minor injuries may worsen without treatment, so you should not hesitate to get checked out if you are a victim. This creates a tangible record of your injuries and recovery, verified by an expert. Also make sure to take pictures of any visible injuries as soon as possible, such as bruises, cuts, or broken bones. Seeking medical attention after a slip and fall is vital for many reasons including diagnosis, medical records of injuries, and establishing a treatment plan.
Slip and falls kind of just happen to anyone at any time. When this happens, your priority should be to seek medical attention right away. If you believe you may have broken a bone, get to an emergency room to be assessed and treated right away. When having a broke bone you can be in a cast for up to six weeks. If your symptoms do not go away, you may also need therapy. Usually, most reach maximum medical improvement for a fracture within one year of their accident. If your symptoms persist longer than one year it may be a permanent injury.
Steps to take:
Most businesses and their insurers challenge slip and fall claims. It is crucial to have an attorney by your side to protect you at every stage.
- Seek medical treatment
- Report the accident
- Document everything
- Decline to give statements
- Call an attorney
Factors that contribute to slip and falls:
- Lighting – This can be a risk, either too much or no visibility can cause a slip and fall.
- Physical Obstacles – There are many things that can be poorly placed to cause anyone to slip, trip or fall. Placing electrical cords, door stoppers, boxes, furniture in a location that may cause others to fall can be very hazardous.
- Design Standards – The materials and level of floors and sidewalks have a big effect and big risk of making you slip or fall. If you see a hole within a sidewalk or a floor board lifted, make sure to report it as soon as possible. You may save someone else from slipping or falling.
- Weather – If it is raining or snowing you are in risk of a slip and fall in entryways and may slip on the ice. Remember to always keep yourself dry and in snowy climates stay clear from snow and salting entries.
If you are involved in a slip and fall incident at a business or on someone else’s premises you may be entitled to compensation. Each case is different. The amount of compensation will vary depending on many factors that may come into play. However, when an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney from Geoff McDonald & Associates takes your case, you can be assured that every opportunity for obtaining compensation for you will be fully pursued. We believe that having an aggressive law firm on your side can make all the difference.