Personal injury victims often want to resolve their situation as quickly as possible, avoid the court system, and get back to living their life. So they skip hiring a lawyer, negotiate a settlement on their own, and hope that they’ve gotten enough money to cover their expenses.
The hard part is, personal injury cases are not always clear cut (as it relates to how much they’ll cost the victim), and you might end up bearing the burden of long-term medical expenses.
We’ll explain when you need a personal injury attorney and the benefits that having an attorney can have on the result of your claim.
When Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer
There are several instances where hiring an attorney will have great benefits for you.
1. When You’re Dealing With Long-Term or Hard-To-Diagnose Injuries
Some injuries have a clear treatment plan and a simple recovery process. While going through the experience is still not ideal and no one enjoys it, you will likely have a definitive end to your treatment and a clear cost estimate for your injuries.
But some injuries are long-term, meaning you’ll be dealing with those expenses for months or even years to come. Or your medical professional might be trying different treatment methods looking for the best solution for your injuries. These are the cases where you want a lawyer who knows how to estimate the long-term cost of these injuries to ensure you aren’t stuck with the long-term expenses involved.
2. What First Seemed Like Minor Injuries Become Major
After an accident and during the initial medical consultation, you might at first think you have minor injuries. But with time and further appointments, you might find that your injuries are more severe.
Even if you started negotiations with the insurance company on your own, it can be a good idea to pause those discussions and talk to an attorney. This ensures you cover all expenses, including pain and suffering compensation.
3. Your Injuries Qualify for Pain and Suffering Compensation
No personal injury is without its inconveniences and pain. Some are more painful and disruptive to your daily life than others. Negotiating pain and suffering compensation is harder than negotiating payment for specific bills, such as medical care and missed work.
This requires a lawyer’s knowledge. Since there is no specific calculation for pain and suffering, working with a lawyer will help you ensure you get a fair settlement given the circumstances.
Benefits of Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Choosing to hire a personal injury lawyer has many benefits to you ranging from reduced stress from dealing with the insurance company to a higher settlement amount. Here’s what you can expect:
- We do not collect money from you upfront, which means there’s no risk of undergoing a consultation or case evaluation.
- Attorneys are skilled negotiators.
- Lawyers help you find ways to pay for your care to avoid bill collectors or spending your savings.
- You will save time from having to negotiate with the insurance company directly.
- Hiring a lawyer ensures you get fair compensation based on your injuries and the details surrounding them.
- A legal representative can protect your rights.
- If you need to file a lawsuit, a lawyer knows how to do so and can file all appropriate documentation within the given deadlines and statute of limitations.
Geoff McDonald & Associates is a team of skilled lawyers serving Virginia personal injury victims. Schedule your free consultation now to learn more about why you need a personal injury lawyer.